Thursday, April 14, 2005

Fraternity of Saint Pambo, Version 0.2

With corrections as indicated by Atgnatus

The Rule

  • Pray Lauds+Vespers+Compline daily and Pray the Jesus Prayer throughout the day

  • Attend Mass daily where possible (pray through daily Readings via lectio divina otherwise), Sunday Mass by obligation

  • Give alms (10% tithe minimum)

  • Fast (2 small meals daily except Sundays and Solemnities) and abstain (no meat on Fridays or during Lent)

  • love others, consider them better than yourself, and judge no one



Formation--First Year

  • Read Catechism of the Catholic Church (or Orthodox equivalent)

  • Read Sayings of the Desert Fathers in some format

  • Monastic Spirituality Self-Study

  • TBD



Formation--Second Year

  • St. Athanasius, Life of St. Anthony

  • St. Augustine, City of God

  • TBD



Formation--Third Year

  • Philokalia

  • TBD



Ongoing formation beyond the 3rd year is under direction of a spiritual adviser.

4 Comments:

Blogger Terry Finley said...

Nice Blog. Thank You.

Prayer is important!!

Visit my blog:
http://terrysdailytales.blogspot.com/

Terry Finley
commentary.fin@gmail.com

7:50 PM  
Blogger atgnatus said...

I like this a lot. I think we may want to fine tune the reading list. I know we both want to read "Way of the Pilgrim" soon.

Also, at my novice level, I am discouraged from reading Augustine so I would replace that with St. Chrysostom's writings.

But one thing I would like to suggest, since we lack Elders to guide us at this time, is that we will need to take extra care of each other and anyone else who adopts the rule. Perhaps we should make a point of checking in, encouraging and (in my case) admonishing each other in their pursuit of the rule.

12:32 AM  
Blogger atgnatus said...

What happened to Scripture reading?

12:36 AM  
Blogger xofezura said...

Liturgy of the Hours contains a lot of scripture, and the daily Mass has scripture readings.

I'm not sure "additional scripture reading" should be promoted to a total separate point. Read what, when, and why?

The church has given us scripture to read through the LofH and the Daily Mass. People can read whatever they like over and above the Rule, but I don't think it makes sense to put an arbitrary "read more" clause in.

But what do I know?

6:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home