Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Alternate Realities

I confess to having a very pessimistic view about the future of civilization.  I'm sure I'm not the only one out there ...
 
Anyway, I tend to get derailed in terms of "taking care of business" because I look at the big picture and think 'what is the point?'   What is the point making the turrets on the sand castle perfectly square when you know a wave will come in and wash it out in 5 minutes?
 
Now of course I need to repent of this foolish despondency.  I'm aware that "civilization" is a will o' the wisp and that all that matters is the kingdom of God, of which it is much more difficult to ascertain the current condition.
 
But, as a matter of preventing future sin, what do other people do to prevent this "everything is going to hell" feeling?   Turn off the news?  Read only books written before 1950?
 
I know what the Desert Fathers would have done ... move out to the Mojave Desert, 40 miles south of Needles, CA or thereabouts.
 
But what do people who remain in the world do?   I suppose I read too much news and should give it up, but I have a (vanity based?) fear of being uninformed ...

2 Comments:

Blogger Oblate-Man said...

I think you stole my post. That has been my emotional state for the last week or so.

So last night I took a friend out to a nice restaurant for dessert and coffee. We ate outside looking out at a beautiful park complete with ducks, a little island in a small lake, and a bunch of little children having a blast feeding the ducks. The chocolate souffle may have been in the top 5 of my entire life's food experiences.

Oh, you said desert... oh well. I sure feel better today.

9:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work » » »

11:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home