Wednesday, May 11, 2005

A Note on the Translation Project

Seems like a reasonable knowledge of English gives you 25-30% insight into Bible Latin. Add familiarity with the text (another 25-30%), and a month of Latin (see Latin resources on right hand side) and you too could be doing your very own deplorably bad translation!

Why bother?

Well, I want to learn Latin and am way too old to sit and patiently go through formal instruction of any sort. My oldest daughter learned to read long before age five, simply by us throwing stuff at her and making her try to decipher, and then telling her the answer after a suitable amount of struggle.

I did the first translation sans dictionary, but I'm sufficiently lame I'll use the dictionary going forward. However, I'm not quite sure how the Latin dictionary words with all the stems and endings, so ... often I can't find the word anyway!


I can't find a Latin New Testament for less than about $26 anywhere, but of course it's free online.

1 Comments:

Blogger Anastasia said...

this is how I learned latin!

kind of. actually, i had the basics of grammar from a private tutor (free!) for several weeks. then I jumped into a college latin reading course. I almost drowned.

But one of the places I feel like I really learned to read latin, not just mechanically translate it, was a reading course I did on the vulgate. No dictionary. Much sight reading.

I don't think there's much need for you to sit in a class. I never did and now I'm being paid to translate latin.

I say jump right in. sink or swim. i think you'll learn to swim. maybe you won't be ready to make a translation of Virgil, but you'll definitely learn to navigate.

Good luck!

8:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home